Honduras, a country neighboring El Salvador, gets its first Bitcoin ATM, reports Reuters.
- 23% of GDP of this Central American country is based on inbound remittances, and 55% of adults don’t have a bank account.
- The Bitcoin ATM, locally dubbed “la bitcoinera,” allows users to purchase bitcoin and Ethereum using the local lempira currency.
- The first Bitcoin ATM has been installed in an office tower in Tegucigalpa by a Honduran firm TGU Consulting Group.
- Interest in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies increased in the neighboring countries after El Salvador embraced Bitcoin.
- In June, El Salvador passed a new ‘Bitcoin Law’ to become the first country in the world to adopt Bitcoin as a legal tender.
Image courtesy of Reuters